Calgary, AB - Bauer, Canadian Tire and Hockey Canada are pleased to announce the launch of the 2018-19 application
process for the Canadian Tire First Shift program. This will mark the fifth season of the program, which
has seen 430 programs executed, resulting in more than 16,000 children trying hockey for the first time.
Minor hockey associations are encouraged to review the application criteria and submit an online application if they wish to be selected as a host community for fall 2018 or winter 2019. All program details and criteria, as well as application form are available at www.firstshift.ca/for-hosts/
Over the years, based on host minor hockey association and member feedback, we have made improvements to the programs to accommodate the reality of the hosts. Improvements include: online management portal enabling real-time access to every aspect of the program, different program sizes, all-girls programs, and more.
The Canadian Tire First Shift is a recruitment program designed to ease kids and their families into the sport of hockey in a fun and welcoming environment. It is open to boys and girls ages 6-10 years old, who have never registered to play hockey. The registration fee is $199 for each participant and includes:
• a Welcome Event – information, education, and an equipment fitting session;
• six Learn-to-Play ice sessions designed by Hockey Canada; and
• a complete set of Bauer gear, including: helmet combo (with facemask), shoulder pads, elbow pads, neck guard, shorts with jock/jill, pants, hockey socks, shin guards, jersey, gloves, stick and skates.
For minor hockey associations, the Canadian Tire First Shift offers:
• The opportunity to bring new families into your hockey community, and increase membership.
• Hockey Canada support:
o on-ice programming
o instructor criteria and education
o welcome event execution support
o on-going program support o a new online portal enabling the management of registrations and forms in real time
• Bauer support:
o Welcome Event execution o promotional program support
o positive media exposure
o head-to-toe equipment for participants
o a coach kit
The minor hockey association application process timeline will be as follows:
• January 10, 2018: Hockey Canada will send out a social media promotional package (web banners and messages) to members for promotion.
• January 15, 2017: Application process opens at www.firstshift.ca.
• January – April:
o Hockey Canada program promotion (social media, website).
o Members to provide feedback applications to Hockey Canada, via the new program portal.
• May 1, 2018: Selected host minor hockey associations to be notified by Hockey Canada.
• June 1, 2018 (12 p.m. ET): Online participant registration opens.
• October – November: Fall welcome events
• January – February: Winter welcome events